Wednesday, July 13, 2011

Titleist Scotty Cameron Circa 62 No. 3 Putters Review

I've played most of the season with a #3 and while I've tried others because of the maintenance issue, I keep coming back to it. It works for me.

I appreciate high-MOI putters for the way they minimize the loss of distance and accuracy on off-center hits. But I always struggle with distance control with such high-tech implements. The Titleist Scotty Cameron Circa 62 No. 3 Putter was totally intuitive on all kinds of greens. While I didn't exactly drain miles of putts with it, I also left myself a lot of easy tap-ins for second putts thanks to the excellent distance control.

To really be my dream putter, I'd need to make some modifications to the Circa 62 No. 3. First, I'd need for there to be a sturdier finish. Second, I'd want the topline to be misted or similarly treated to cut down on glare on sunny days. Third, I'd want the option of being able to order a shorter length with a heavier head.

My only quibble with the feel was that the Circa 62 No. 3 (discount golf equipment) felt a little light in the head to me. And it only comes in a 35" version, so if I wanted to cut it down an inch or two, I'd end up with an even lighter putter (you can't put lead tape on a putter this pretty; that'd be like putting duct tape on a Porsche). But the more I used it, the more comfortable I became with the putter - especially on fast greens.

In addition to its old school design esthetic, the Circa 62 line also has a classic performance style. If you're looking for a high-MOI putter that will make up for a shaky putting stroke, you shouldn't be looking at the Circa 62s. These are not high-tech, space-age corrective designs like Cameron's Futura models. The Circa 62s are for people who appreciate a putter that gives them solid feel, reliable distance control and a simple look.


The fact is that the Circa 62 No. 3 is a solid putter that looks great. I'm of the belief that 90 percent of putting is confidence (and the other 10 percent is pretty much luck). If you love classic-looking milled blade putters, you're going to use on every hole, then you're likely to find the Circa 62 line to be worth the price.

No comments:

Post a Comment